Monday, July 27, 2009

Harry Potter Grows Up


Now I know why some people don't like this movie. It's not light and happy like the previous episodes. The theme is dark which correctly reflects the way it is in the book. In fact I can't remember much scenes where the lighting was bright. If ever it was, it's more hazy kinda blurry rather than the previous episodes' bright sunny lightings.

Do I like it? Yes I definitely do same as my kids who fittingly said that it's meant to have that dark theme because the book is the same. It would be disturbing if they try to make light of a heavy subject as death and murder. I particulary like the special effects like when Harry was in the pensieve the first time and all the objects in the memory were taking shape from smoke-like ink - fabulous effect. Then there are the ones from the cave scenes where the sea of fire emerged then it parted like the Red Sea. It didn't help that Dumbledore looked like Moses!

This movie adaptation of a book is no different from others that they have to take out a lot of stuff. But I didn't reckon they would add something else like the burning of the Burrow. I never read of any burning house in the book only an attack on the Weasely's home.

We definitely recommend the movie. In fact, we'll buy the DVD once it comes out. Although I wouldn't rate it the highest among the Harry Potter movies.

No comments: