Friday, August 22, 2008

Three Beaches

 
This is the first part of my post on our trip to Cornwall this year that is long overdue. We went there last year and so many other times before. I never tire of going to that area. There are so many things to explore and see. Besides the fact that I have to have my yearly fix of being near the sea. Even if I don't have to bathe in it. There's something about seeing the water or hearing the lapping of waves rejuvenates me. Right now Cornwall is my favourite destination here in the UK.

Kynance Cove
Okay let me begin with the tale of three beaches. The kids (especially J3) definitely wanted to go to the beach and bathe or just lie around. Of course we first went to our favourite - Kynance Cove. We timed our visit with the only sunny day during our time there (courtesy of the Met of course) but we forgot to check the tide times. So by the time we got there it was nearly high tide and in Kynance Cove that means no beach!

Kynance Cove access
As you can see, one of the reasons people don't flock to this area is because of the access which is just fine with us because that means there would be less crowding. Besides the long walk from the car park you have to negotiate steep stairs cut in the cliff side which when wet could be quite slippery.

Kynance Cove beach
After only about an hour, we have to leave due to the oncoming tide. Bye bye beautiful Kynance Cove. See you again next time.

Before we went on our next beach, we had to stop and buy our youngest J3 a surfing suit since the water was chilly so she can't stay in the water for so long. As expected she asked a few more like a kite and a surf board with the Johnny Depp design. *sigh* My credit card hurts.

Poldhu Cove
Anyway, the next one we went to is Poldhu Cove. This is where Marconi relayed the first trans-Atlantic radio message to Newfoundland in 1901. We did not go to the Marconi museum but in its beach we did go. This is a more kid-safe with wide flat and very gradual depth. There is a shop for food and other beach paraphernalia and toilet facilities. The sand is fine and white to light gold. Our main complaint is the proliferation of seaweeds on the shore. My daughter does not even want to wade in. So we lay around for an hour again while me and J3 busied ourselves with flying our kite.

Sennen Cove
Again we have to move and I was getting desperate at this point. As a last resort, I took them to one of the westernmost beaches in England that I know is a safe bet - Sennen Cove. Still you'll never know until you get there but thank god we finally hit the jackpot. I highly recommend this beach folks. It's got very broad flat beach, plenty of room to move around, a little bit of waves to satisfy surfing, lots of lifeguards patrolling, lots of nearby shops, toilet facilities, restaurants, even a surfing school and surfing equipments rental shop.

Sennen Cove junior surfers
As expected, the downside of any popular beach is not enough parking nearby. I say 'nearby' because there are lots more further near the entrance of the town but you have to walk about 500 meters steep uphill and I mean really steep. Fortunately when we came it was already late in the afternoon so most people are leaving and we were able to bag a parking space in the only car park facing the beach. It was almost perfect. What can I ask more? Probably warmer waters.

No comments: