Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Imperial War Museum

Imperial War Museum
The Saturday after our visit to Tower of London, me and my two kids (J1 & J3) trekked to the Imperial War Museum London in Lambeth. As expected, it's full of weapons, artifacts, and other war related exhibits. I am generally against war and violence but besides the obvious excitement and interest of my son, I took them there to learn about the destruction and futility of war. As the phrase in the leaflet says "It seeks to provide for, and to encourage, the study and understanding of the history of modern war and how it affects our lives." I certainly hope it does.

Above are the imposing big guns fronting the museum. Click on the pictures for a bigger view. I was pleasantly surprised to learn upon stepping inside that entrance is free.


These are the airplanes that will greet you inside. The museum houses war artifacts from all over the world. So you can see German Panzer tanks alongside British ones.


Some spic and span World War II tanks.



And the regulatory guns and knives to go with everything ...

Above is a surface to air missile and a German V2 rocket.

There are a number of excellent exhibitions like the WWI and WWII galleries, the Children's War where it poignantly depicts how war affected children especially in the evacuation of London children during WWII. There was even a Trench Experience gallery where they recreated trenches in WWI complete with sights, sounds and even the stench of urine, sweat, blood, among other things.


Herein is the butt of the big guns or rather the derrier. We're on our way out now after a day of viewing the excellent exhibits of the museum. For me, it's a good way of reflecting on the cruelty of man against his own. For my youngest J3, it's a nice day out running in and out of tanks and submarines. For my son J1, it's absolutely fantastic seeing and photographing all those guns, tanks, planes and seeing those big rockets. What is it with boys and big guns?


On the way home only a few meters away from the museum gates, I noticed this plaque on a house along Lambeth Road.

No comments: